“GreenSmart” refers to an innovative system we’ve developed and integrated into our gas fireplaces, stoves and inserts. Basically, it’s a collection of components that are designed to provide a highly efficient source of heat while making your life as easy as possible. Let’s take a closer look at how we’ve accomplished this by first defining each component as a unique aspect.
1. Intermittent Pilot: A pilot light is just a simple name for the flame used to light the gas in a fireplace. When you turn your fireplace on that gas is lit by the pilot light and then emitted through the ports in the burner creating that desirable and realistic wood-like fire that we all love. In the past, gas models have used what we call a standing pilot light, meaning that the small pilot flame is continuously on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You’re probably thinking to yourself, ‘Since I don’t run my fireplace 24/7 year round, isn’t this a waste of energy?’ The answer is yes, absolutely. A standing pilot wastes .552 therms (a unit of heat) each day. One therm of gas costs $1.10. This means the unit costs $0.61 to run every day, even when you’re not using it. That’s $222 of wasted energy each year. So, we decided to get “Smart” by using an intermittent pilot system instead. This system does exactly what the name suggests, turns the pilot light on and off intermittently. The best part is, you have all the control. When the fireplace is turned on a high voltage spark ignites the pilot light. When the fireplace is turned off, the pilot light turns off as well. It’s as simple as that. All our GreenSmart models come standard with an Intermittent Pilot Ignition system, as well as the option for a standing pilot with just the flip of a switch.
2. Split-Flow Burner with Comfort Control™: The burner that comes in your gas fireplace has tiny holes in it, called burner ports, which release ignited gas and produce dancing yellow flames. In all of our GreenSmart models those ports are separated into a front and rear section. We’ve done this so that you can turn the rear portion of the burner off, while leaving the flames in front burning. This is the Comfort Control™ feature. It’s what allows us to achieve such high turndown ratios and what allows you to use your fireplace year round.
3. Battery Back-up: This is a very important feature when deciding whether or not to buy a gas fireplace. You need to be able to heat your home in the event of a power outage, and our battery back-up allows you to do this by supplying the energy required to ignite the pilot as well as run the Comfort Control feature.
4. Flame Height Adjustment: There’s a small knob on the control panel of the fireplace that allows you to customize your flame height. Yes, this does tie in to the GreenSmart system and we’ll get into that when going over the GreenSmart Remote. However, and perhaps more importantly, this element allows you to personalize the look of the fire to your tastes or mood. With the flip of a switch a fire can completely change the feel of a room. It can add merriness to a party, coziness to a small gathering, or romance to an intimate dinner.
5. Convection Blower: A blower, or fan, is basically a way to increase the heat transfer from the fireplace into your home. By using the blower you also greatly increase the efficiency of the fireplace and reduce your heating costs.
Whew! We’ve covered the integral parts of the GreenSmart technology except for one…the GreenSmart Remote Control. This remote is almost like a little robot that adjusts the flame height to maintain whatever temperature in the room you decide. It really is a “Set It and Forget It” system. All you have to do is set your desired temperature and the remote does the rest. This system allows you to conserve fuel by not overheating your room or cycling the fireplace on and off endlessly. By using the “Smart” function remote you’re operating your fireplace as efficiently as possible, which means you’re heating your home as efficiently as possible.
We’re not done yet. All our GreenSmart models come standard with a few luxuries that we feel you deserve.
Accent Lights – These lights add a warm glow to the logs and fireback and are perfect as a soft nightlight when the fireplace is turned off.
Concealment Door – The control panel, valve and wires are all neatly hidden behind an elegantly designed concealment door that conveniently opens and closes for easy access to the controls.
Control Panel Lighting and High Visibility Dashboard – Once the concealment door is opened the entire dashboard is lit up by automatic LED lights. This makes the high resolution silk-screened lettering on the controls easy to view even in a low light environment.
So, all the hype about GreenSmart is well founded. Take some time to browse through our GreenSmart units on our website: www.fireplacex.com, then head down to your local FPX showroom so they can show the magic in person. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.